9 Famous Kenyans Who Have Died Of Cancer Recently
This article highlights prominent Kenyans leaders who have died of cancer. Firstly, almost everyone over 10 years of age globally is probably aware or has heard of the word Cancer. However, not everyone knows its’ basic explanation or can define it.
Cancer is a disease that causes body cells to divide uncontrollably and in the process, causes damage to many body tissues. As a result, the human body’s defense system gets too weak to prevent further tumor growth causing cancer to grow even further. That is why it is ranked as the deadliest kind of disease in the world.
Kenya has lost a number of prominent persons, including influential investors, politicians, and entrepreneurial leaders, to cancer. The list is long; for example Professor Wangari Maathai, Waweru Mburu, Ken Okoth, Joyce Laboso and many more. The government is, finally, taking serious notice of this problem and hopefully, plans are underway to deal with this deadly disease.
In summary, below is a list of Famous Kenyans who have succumbed to cancer since 2011.
Have a look at his first statement after his brother’s death following a brave battle with cancer:
“We want to inform the nation, people of Kibra, that the servant leader they trust, Hon Ken Okoth is no more.”
9 Famous Kenyans Who Have Died of Cancer Recently
- Professor Wangari Maathai. She was Tetu MP and the first African Kenyan woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize Award. She died of ovarian cancer while admitted at Nairobi Hospital at the age of 71.
- Francis Nyenze. Francis passed on after a long battle of colon cancer. He was a Member of Parliament for Kitui West Constituency. According to reports, he kept a secret about what he was suffering from despite the pain he was undergoing.
- Waweru Mburu. Similarly, the former head of Radio Citizen succumbed to gastric cancer at MP Shah Hospital on 28 September 2016.
- Janet Kanini. Janet was an NTV presenter. She died on 1st April 2017 after suffering from lung cancer. Janet openly shared her triumphs and struggles in battling the disease.
- Ken Okoth. The late Kibra Member of Parliament succumbed to Colorectal cancer at Nairobi Hospital after a long battle with cancer. His beloved blood brother was the first to make the announcement of his demise.
- Joyce Laboso. She is the most recent politician to die of cancer. According to her husband Edwin, Joyce was diagnosed with cancer in 1991. She died while undergoing treatment at the Nairobi Hospital after a long battle with ovarian cancer.
- Ben Oluoch Okello. Ben was a Ramogi FM presenter as well as a Migori senator. He passed on in June 2018 after battling throat cancer.
- Grace Kipchoim. This member of parliament for Baringo South is remembered for her battle against cattle rustling during her term. She succumbed to colon cancer on 20th April 2018 at Nairobi Hospital.